Anne Holt was born in Larvik in Norway in 1958. She grew up in Lillestrøm and Tromsø before finally moving to Oslo. She has a law degree from the University of Bergen, and in addition to working as a lawyer, she has also worked for the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation as a journalist and anchor woman, and for the Oslo Police Department. She has had her own law practice and served as the Norwegian Minister for Justice for a short time.
Holt now lives in Oslo with her partner Anne Christine Kjær and their daughter Iohanne.
Holt had not really planned to be a writer but sort of fell into it. Her first novel, Blind Goddess, was published in 1993 and introduced the character of Hanne Wilhelmsen (who has a lot in common with Anne Holt’s own life). The Hanne Wilhelmsen series now contains eight books and is being gradually published in English.
Anne Holt’s novels:
The Hanne Wilhelmsen series
- Blind Goddess (#1) (1993) (English 2012)
- Blessed Are Those Who Thirst (#2) (1994) (English 2012)
- Death of the Demon (#3) (1995) (English 2013)
- The Lion’s Mouth (#4) (1997) (English 2014)
- Dead Joker (#5) (1999) (English 2015)
- No Echo (#6) (2000) (English 2016)
- Beyond the Truth (#7) (2003) (English 2016)
- 1222 (#8) (2007) (English (2010)
- Offline/ Odd Nuumbers (#9) (2015) (English 2017)
- In Dust and Ashes (#10) (English 2018)
The Vik/Stubø series
- Det som er mitt (What is Mine/Punishment) 2001 (English 2006)
- Det som aldri skjer (What never happens/The Final Murder) 2004 (English 2008)
- Presidentens valg (Madam President/Death in Oslo) 2006
- Pengemannen (Fear Not) 2009
- Flimmer (co-authored with Even Holt) 2010
- Mea culpa 1997
- I hjertet av VM. En fotballreise (co-authored with Erik Langbråten) 1998
- Bernhard Pinkertons store oppdrag 1999