Keigo Higashino (東野 圭吾) is one of the most popular authors in Japan, writing mystery books as well as children’s books.
He was born in 1958 in Osaka and began writing while working as an engineer for DENSO. After winning the Edogawa Rampo Award for his novel Hokago (After School) in 1985, he turned to writing full-time.
He has since won many Japanese awards and in 2012 the English translation of his novel Yogisha X no Kenshin (The Devotion of Suspect X) was shortlisted for an Edgar award.
Some of his novels, particularly from the Detective Galileo series, are now being translated into English.
Works by Higashino
Detective Galileo series:
- Manatsu no Hōteishiki (真夏の方程式), 2011 (English: A Midsummer’s Equation 2016)
Read Review of A Midsummer’s Equation
- Seijo no Kyūsai (聖女の救済), 2008 (English: Salvation of a Saint 2012)
Read Review of Salvation of a Saint
- Yōgisha X no Kenshin (容疑者Xの献身), 2005 (English: The Devotion of Suspect X 2011)
Read Review of The Devotion of Suspect X
- Kindan no Majutsu (禁断の魔術?), 2015 (The Forbidden Magic)
Detective Kaga series:
- Malice (1996) (english 2014)
- Newcomer (english 2017)
- Naoko (original title: Himitsu) (2004)
- Journey Under the Midnight Sun (original title: Byakuyakō) (2015)
- The Name of the Game is Kidnapping (original title: Gēmu no Na wa Yūkai) (2016)