Elizabeth George was born Susan Elizabeth George in Ohio in 1949 but moved to California at a young age. She studied English at the University of California and California State University obtaining a teaching degree and later a Masters degree in Counselling and Psychology. She has also been awarded an Honorary Masters in Fine Arts.
Elizabeth George worked as a teacher in the public school system for thirteen years until she published her first novel in 1988. She has since taught courses in writing at Colleges and Universities.
She was married to Ira Jay Toiban from 1971 to 1995 when they were divorced.
The main series of books written by Elizabeth George is set in England, and many readers are surprised when they find out that she is actually American. Her main character – Thomas Linley (Lord Asherton) is a noble born Scotland Yard Detective who works alongside the very working class Barbara Havers.
In 2012 Elizabeth George published her first novel for the Young Adult market.
Works by Elizabeth George:
Inspector Lynley Series
- A Great Deliverance (#1) (1988)
- Payment In Blood (#2) (1989)
- Well-Schooled in Murder (#3) (1990)
- A Suitable Vengeance (#4) (1991)
- For the Sake of Elena (#5) (1992)
- Missing Joseph (#6) (1993)
- Playing for the Ashes (#7) (1994)
- In the Presence of the Enemy (#8) (1996)
- Deception on his Mind (#9) (1997)
- In Pursuit of the Proper Sinner (#10) (1999)
- A Traitor to Memory (#11) (2001)
- A Place of Hiding (#12) (2003)
- With No One as Witness (#13) (2005)
- What Came Before He Shot Her (#14) (2006)
- Careless in Red (#15) (2008)
- This Body of Death (#16) (2010)
- Believing the Lie (#17) (2012)
- Just One Evil Act (#18) (2013)
- A Banquet of Consequences (#19) (2015)
- The Punishment She Deserves (#20) (2018)
Saratoga Woods series
- The Edge of Nowhere (#1) (2012)
- The Edge of the Water (#2) (2013)
- The Edge of the Shadows (#3) (2014)
- The Edge of the Light (2016)
- The Evidence Exposed (short story collection) (2001)
- I, Richard (short story collection) (2002)
- A Moment on the Edge: 100 Years of Crime Stories by Women (2004)
- Write Away (2004)