David Andrew Gemmell was born in 1948 in West London and died in 2006. He lived a very tough childhood, raised by a single mother till the age of six. This led to bullying and it wasn’t till later that his stepfather taught him to fight back. Gemmell was expelled from school for gambling at the age of 16 and was also arrested several times. One psychologist even labelled him as a psychopath.
Gemmell eventually got a job as a journalist. His mother set up the interview and out of 100 applicants he was hired because his arrogance was mistaken for self-confidence.
His first attempts at novel writing were dismal failures. When he was diagnosed with terminal cancer, he wrote the book that eventually became his first published novel – ‘Legend’. The cancer turned out to be a mis-diagnosis. Gemmell went on to write 30 novels, mostly in the heroic fantasy genre.
He died of coronary heart disease, three weeks after a triple by-pass operation. He was only 57 years old. His wife Stella completed his final novel – ‘Troy: Fall of Kings’, that he was working on at the time.
- Legend (1984) (originally published as Against the Horde)
- The King Beyond the Gate (1985)
- Waylander (1986)
- Quest for Lost Heroes (1990)
- Waylander II: In the Realm of the Wolf (1992)
- The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (1993)
- The Legend of Deathwalker (1996)
- Winter Warriors (1996)
- Hero in the Shadows (2000)
The Damned Series (part of Drenai)
- White Wolf (2003)
- The Swords of Night and Day (2004)
- Sword in the Storm (1999)
- Midnight Falcon (2000)
- Ravenheart (2001)
- Stormrider (2002)
Stones of Power
- Ghost King (1988)
- Last Sword of Power (1988)
Jon Shannow (part of Stones of Power)
- Wolf in Shadow (1987)
- The Last Guardian (1989)
- Bloodstone (1994)
- Omnibus: The Complete Chronicles of the Jerusalem Man (1995)
Greek series (part of Stones of Power)
- Lion of Macedon (1990)
- Dark Prince (1991)
Hawk Queen series
- Ironhand’s Daughter (1995)
- The Hawk Eternal (1995)
Individual fantasy titles
- Knights of Dark Renown (1989)
- Morningstar (1992)
- Dark Moon (1996)
- Echoes of the Great Song (1997)
- Troy: Lord of the Silver Bow (2005)
Read Review of Troy: Lord of the Silver Bow
- Troy: Shield of Thunder (2006)
Read Review of Troy: Shield of Thunder
- Troy: Fall of Kings (2007)
Read Review of Troy: Fall of Kings
- White Knight, Black Swan (1993) (under the pseudonym Ross Harding)Published by Arrow Books.
Both Legend (1984) and Wolf in Shadow (1994) have also been released as graphic novels, with text by Stan Nicholls and artwork by Fangorn.