J.K. Rowling is the penname for Joanne (Jo) Rowling. Jo Rowling was born in July 1965 in England. She lived a reasonably comfortable childhood and attended Exeter University where she studied French and Classics.
After university, she worked as a researcher and bilingual secretary for Amnesty International and it was during this time that she had her initial idea for the Harry Potter books, while sitting on a delayed train at Kings Cross station.
Jo then moved to Portugal where she taught English as a second language at nights and wrote during the day. She also met her first husband Jorg Arantes. The marriage soon broke down and she then had to fend for herself with a young baby. She moved to Edinburgh where for a number of years she survived on benefits while continuing to study and write.
When the first Harry Potter book was completed, it was rejected by many publishers before one finally took it on. It was a huge success and each subsequent book in the series has been more successful. The Harry Potter series has also been made into an incredibly successful series of films.
Today Rowling is wealthy and gives much of her money to charity. She lives with her second husband – Neil Michael Murray and her three children.
Harry Potter series:
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (1997)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets ( 1998)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (1999)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2000)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2003)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2005)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (2007)
Harry Potter supplementary books:
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2001)
- Quidditch Through the Ages (2001)
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard (2008)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (2016)
As Robert Galbraith
Cormoran Strike series
- The Cuckoo’s Calling (#1) (2013)
- The Silkworm (#2) (2014)
- Career of Evil (#3) (2015)
- Lethal White (#4) (2017)
- Harry Potter prequel (2008)