Mark Billingham was born in July 1961 and grew up in Birmingham. From an early age, Billingham was the class ‘show-off’ and wanted to become an actor. He studied drama and became an actor, but found himself typecast as a baddie because of his looks. He decided to become a comedian (where looks are less important) and achieved success in this field. He also wrote screenplays, but fed up with other people constantly rewriting his work, decided to write a novel. His first novel ‘Sleepyhead’, published in 2001, was a huge success and his career as a novelist has moved on from there with Billingham having won many awards.
He is best known for his crime series featuring DI Tom Thorne.
Billingham still works as a stand-up comedian in addition to his writing. He lives in North London with his wife Claire and 2 children.
Tom Thorne series
- Sleepyhead (#1) (2001)
- Scaredy Cat (#2) (2002)
- Lazybones (#3) (2003)
- The Burning Girl (#4) (2004)
- Lifeless (#5) (2005)
- Buried (#6) (2006)
- Death Message (#7) (2007)
- Bloodline (#8) (2009)
- From the Dead (#9) (2010)
- Good as Dead (#10) (2011)
- The Dying Hours (#11) (2013)
- The Bones Beneath (#12) (2014)
- Time of Death (#13) (2015)
- Love Like Blood (#14) (2017)
Writing as Will Peterson (with Peter Cocks)
- Triskellion (2008)
- Triskellion 2: The Burning (2009)
- Triskellion 3: The Gathering (2010)
- Knight School (with Peter Cocks) (1998)
- In the Dark (2008) with Tom Thorne as a minor character.
- Rush of Blood (2012) with Tom Thorne as a minor character.
- Die of Shame (2016)