Michael Connelly was born in 1956 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and lived there for 12 years before his family moved to Florida.
He had an early interest in crime fiction but decided to follow his father into the property and construction industry. While at university studying to be a building construction manager, he discovered the novels of Raymond Chandler and changed his studies to journalism and creative writing.
He worked as a crime reporter for a number of newspapers in Florida before moving to Los Angeles. He continued to work as a journalist and began to write novels. His third attempt was ‘The Black Echo’ published in 1982 and introducing his main character Heironymus ‘Harry’ Bosch. After his fourth novel, Bosch was able to quit his job and write full-time.
The detective Harry Bosch has appeared in most of Connelly’s novels (now numbering 28). Other characters also make repeated appearances, with or without Bosch. Connelly has won most of the American mystery awards available for his novels.
Even after moving back to Florida with his wife and daughter, Connelly has continued to set his novels in Los Angeles.
- The Black Echo (1992) (Harry Bosch #1)
- The Black Ice (1993) (Harry Bosch #2)
- The Concrete Blonde (1994) (Harry Bosch #3)
- The Last Coyote (1995) (Harry Bosch #4)
- The Poet (1996) (Jack McEvoy #1)
- Trunk Music (1997) (Harry Bosch #5)
- Blood Work (1998) (Terry McCaleb #1)
- Angels Flight (1999) (Harry Bosch #6)
- Void Moon (2000)
- A Darkness More Than Night (2001) (Harry Bosch #7, Terry McCaleb #2)
- City of Bones (2002) (Harry Bosch #8)
- Chasing the Dime (2002)
- Lost Light (2003) (Harry Bosch #9)
- The Narrows (2004) (Harry Bosch #10, Terry McCaleb #3)
- The Closers (2005) (Harry Bosch #11)
- The Lincoln Lawyer (2005) (Mickey Haller #1)
- Echo Park (2006) (Harry Bosch #12)
- The Overlook (2007) (Harry Bosch #13)
- The Brass Verdict (2008) (Harry Bosch #14, Mickey Haller #2)
- The Scarecrow (2009) (Jack McEvoy #2)
- Nine Dragons (2009) (Harry Bosch #15)
- The Reversal (2010) (Harry Bosch #16, Mickey Haller #3)
- The Fifth Witness (2011) (Mickey Haller #4)
- The Drop (2011) (Harry Bosch #17)
- The Black Box (2012) (Harry Bosch #18)
- The Gods of Guilt (2013) (Mickey Haller #5)
- The Burning Room (2014) (Harry Bosch #19)
- The Crossing (2015) (Harry Bosch #20, Mickey Haller #6)
- The Wrong Side of Goodbye (2016) (Harry Bosch #21)
- The Late Show (2017) (Renee Ballard #1)
- Two Kinds of Truth (2017) (Harry Bosch #22)
- Dark Sacred Night (2018) (Harry Bosch #23, Renee Ballard #2)